Thursday, February 11, 2010

Extended Family

I have been thinking about my extended family, but with a special twist on the word "extended."

Normally, in today's society in America, your extended family includes your in-laws, your step-father, step-mothers, step-brothers and step-sisters, etc. But I am thinking more about "extended" in the sense of "stretched out" or "far away" (either in distance or in time).

I have a sister, for instance, whom I have not seen in several years and who lives hundreds of miles away from me. And I have nephews and nieces who live fairly close by -- within driving distance, in fact -- but whom rarely I see.

Yet they are related to me, I watched them grow up, and I've seen them have children of their own.

So why do we remain so far apart (both in time and/or in distance)?

No idea.

My Villa-Lovos family includes:

I. Paz Villalobos (my grandfather, ____-____) m. Modesta Esparza Duenes (____-1951)
   A. Antonio Esparza Villa-Lovos (my father, 1904-2003) m. Stella Valdez (1914-____)
        1. Charles Gastelum Villa-Lovos (myself, 1942-____) m. Sylvia Casaus (1952-____)
            (a) Christopher Michael Villa-Lovos (my son, 1972-____) m. Jessica Lamas (1973-____)
                (i) Charles Anthony Villa-Lovos (my grandson, 1995-____)
                (ii) Julia Villa-Lovos (my granddaughter, (2000-____)

        2. Anthony Peter Villa-Lovos (my brother, 1943-____) m. Sandra Santana (1944-____)
            (a) Anthony Charles Villa-Lovos (my nephew, 1961-____) m. Marie _________ (19__-____)
                (i) Tiana Villa-Lovos (my grand-niece, 1997-____)
            (b) Tracy Villa-Lovos (my nephew, 1963-____)  m. Sherri Doctor (19__-____)
                (i) Kevin Villa-Lovos (my grand-nephew, ____-____)
                (ii) Ashley Villa-Lovos (my grand-niece, ____-____)
            (c) JulieAnn Villa-Lovos (my niece, 1964-____) m. James Angel (19__-____)
                (i) Noah Angel (19__-____)
                (ii) Ethan Angel (10__-____)

        3. Teresa Villa-Lovos (my sister, 1943-____) m. Lawrence Mora
            (a) Jeanette Mora (196_-____)
            (b) Christina Mora (196_-____)
            (c) Laura Mora (196_-____)
            (d) Larry Mora (197_-____)

        3. Anita Grace Villa-Lovos (my sister, 1946-____) m. Jesus Diaz
            (a) Jesse Diaz (19__-____)
            (b) David Diaz (19__-____)

All those members of my family, most of them still living and not all that far away. I guess it's up to me to see them more often, perhaps set up an annual family picnic or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment